How to Tell if Your Home Has a Mold Problem
It can be challenging to tell if you have mold in your home. Just because you can’t
see mold doesn’t mean it’s not there. Some mold forms in colonies so tiny, they escape the
eye. As such, most people don’t even realize they see mold until it’s too late.
Below, we’ll take a look at some telltale signs of mold growth in your home. Please
keep your eyes peeled for these signs, so you can catch it before it escalates.
Visible Mold Growth
Various types of mold are present throughout the environment. Some appear as
green or brown specks, while others appear as white, black, or orange flakes.
Molds thrive in dark, cool, and damp places. Instead of just looking for multi-colored
stains in every inch of your home, limit your search to moist areas such as the
kitchen, bathroom, basement, attic, and other areas with poor ventilation.
Look for possible signs of mold in these areas: Check the walls, ceiling, floor, in and
under the sink, windows, and window sills.
If you see visible mold growth in any of the areas mentioned above, it could indicate
that you have a big problem on your hands. That speck you’re seeing is just the tip of
the iceberg. Molds are already growing and spreading, so you need to address the
Mold is a natural part of the environment. You might not realize it, but mold spores
are already floating around in the air in your home. All they need is something to
latch on to and an ideal environment to survive.
Molds thrive in humid, damp, and wet conditions. Under the right conditions, molds
can start to grow and spread in as little as 24 hours. If you have experienced flooding
or a recent water leak in your home, it is almost a guarantee that you have a mold
A musty smell in the air is often a definitive sign of mold. Some compounds produced
by molds give off a stale and damp smell that lingers in the air. The problem is, most
homeowners don’t take it too seriously. They open the windows, hoping that the
smell will go away.
Unfortunately, no amount of air freshener or open windows will eliminate the odor. If left
unaddressed, molds can spread to other areas in your home, leaving a stronger and
more pungent smell.
If you notice that the air in your home has a musty odor that you can’t pinpoint, mold
testing may be just what you need. An inspector will help you find the source of the
smell and eliminate any mold that has grown in your home.
You Feel Sick Most of The Time
Prolonged mold exposure can trigger some alarming health problems, especially if
you have asthma, emphysema, COPD, or other respiratory conditions. Molds can
exacerbate your condition and may even trigger an asthma attack, causing shortness
of breath, chest tightness, and wheezing.
People with allergies are more sensitive to molds. For these people, allergic
reactions can present themselves in the form of a runny nose, watery eyes, itchy
throat, constant coughing, skin rashes, etc.
If you are consistently experiencing allergy symptoms at home, but you seem to feel
better when you leave the house, there’s a good chance that your home has a mold
Is mold testing necessary?
If you suspect mold is growing in your home, then hire a professional to conduct mold
testing. Some might consider it as an unnecessary expense, but taking the extra step
to check for mold will prevent severe property damage and keep your family safe and
Sure, you can buy some mold test kits if you want to save money. But the results can
be inaccurate if you don’t know how to use them correctly. Contact a licensed
professional to do the testing for you.
Mold can harm both your health and your home. Once you realize that you have a
mold problem, be sure to address the problem as rapidly and thoroughly as possible.
We specialize in mold testing and remediation. If you need help in dealing with a
potential mold problem, do not hesitate to contact us.