How to Prevent Mold Growth in Your Home
No one wants mold in their home. It can be a huge problem not only for your home but also for your health. Once it starts growing and spreading, it can be tough to eliminate.
Stop these harmful fungi from taking over your home. Keep your home mold-free by following these tips.
A leaky tap may seem like a minor issue. But the longer you wait, the more likely it will lead to a bigger, more complicated problem.
Most people fail to realize it, but a leaky tap can account for over 10,000 gallons of water every year. It doesn’t just lead to a skyrocketing water bill; it may also lead to water damage and mold infestation.
Do yourself a favor and get your leaking tap fixed right away. Not only will it save you money, but it will also save you from potential damage in the long run.
Use exhaust fans
The kitchen and bathroom are at the highest risk of developing mold. These areas tend to be damp and provide the perfect growing environment for mold and mildew.
The most common places to find molds are under the sink, around window sills, behind cupboards, in the shower, and in the bathtub. Proper ventilation is the key to preventing mold growth.
Turn on the fan when you take a shower. Once you’re done, leave it running for about 15-20 minutes to eliminate excess moisture.
Direct water away from your home
Your gutters have one crucial role — to direct water away from your home’s foundation. Unfortunately, most people hate the idea of cleaning the gutters. Some of you probably despise the feel of dirty, slimy mud and debris on your hands as you scoop it out. It may be your most dreaded task, but it needs to be done to prevent mold. Otherwise, water from the gutters may overflow into the house.
Mold may start to grow within 24-48 hours of water damage. Make it a point to clean your gutters once every three months. Don’t wait until your gutters start overflowing before you get to work.
Monitor humidity levels indoors
Too little humidity can cause dry skin, chapped lips, and an itchy throat. It also makes us more susceptible to colds and respiratory diseases. Excess moisture, on the other hand, can promote fungus, mold, and bacteria growth. It may also cause wood to rot.
That said, it is vital to monitor the humidity levels inside your home to prevent mold. The easiest way to do that is by using a hygrometer.
Keep in mind that mold thrives in a humid environment. Ideally, your indoor humidity level should be between 35% and 50%. 55% reading is expected in summer, but make sure it doesn’t go higher.
A relative humidity level of 60% is enough to support mold growth. Make sure to monitor the indoor humidity level and try to keep it at 50%.
Dry wet areas immediately
Natural disasters, damaged pipes, clogged drains, and broken appliances are just some of the most common causes of residential water damage. It can ruin your paint, damage wood, and even your personal belongings. But the worse part of it is that it can also lead to mold growth.
You see, mold may start to grow within 24 to 48 hours of water damage. That said, it is best to dry the area thoroughly as soon as possible. Also, get into the habit of drying surfaces in your bathroom to keep it clean and mold-free.
Consider mold testing
Just because you can’t see molds, it doesn’t mean it’s not there. Sometimes, molds grow and thrive in hidden places, like the drywall, under floors, or even the chimney. Some people find themselves getting sick more frequently.
If you suspect that you have molds at home, it is best to hire a professional to conduct mold testing. We’ll do a thorough inspection of your home and take samples to determine the presence of molds in your home. We also perform mold remediation services to help you get rid of this problem once and for all.
Call us at 303-995-7015 to learn more about our mold prevention, mold testing, and mold remediation services. We offer free consultations to provide you with the resources you need to protect your home.